Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Most Isolated City in the World

By Paul Wilson

I have been with Storage King for 5 years now and have been lucky enough to start up 3 new facilities and help convert another into a Storage King Facility.

Being that we are so isolated from our partners in the eastern states it was little daunting to setup Storage King Midland – the first in the wild west with little or no knowledge of Storage or what a cubic metre was.  It was a little overwhelming to walk down the corridors of a facility that was still being built and I honestly began to wonder what I had got myself into.  With 2 weeks training in Melbourne I was packed up and sent on my horse and cart back to Perth to start TEAM WA J

We now have 6 sites here covering all for corners of our city that is expanding at a great rate of knots.  The latest site I have been setting up is Storage King Forrestdale, which is located in the back blocks of nowhere (Google it).  The area here is very diverse and with over 30% of homes being rented and not owned meant we had to use a different tack with our marketing and broaden our horizons to cover some more rural properties that use Armadale as the shopping hub. 

Over the time one of the important things I have learnt is you NEVER know who you are dealing with here. I have met Coffee Plantation owners from South America, an old bloke who looked rougher than a stray dog who owned 2 mines, and a real bush character  who drives 4 hours every two weeks, then flies on a plane for another 2 hours to get to work . 


Lesson here is to treat everyone the same and you will be successful within your Kingdom and never judge a book by its cover no matter what!