Tuesday, May 20, 2014

My Storage Experience

By Shaun Cox  
Storage King Rutherford, NSW

If you had asked me 10 years ago what I would be doing for a job when I leave school, the answer would be completely different to what it is now. I went to an agricultural college for two years destined to become a farmer like everybody else growing up in a country town, and during this period I joined the Rural Fire Service. I finished my agricultural schooling with a diploma and decided to follow a path of sales, as it was something which I had enjoyed working part time in a hardware shop while I was studying.

Around this time, I started working in a rural supplies store helping farmers solve their problems and giving them all the tools they needed to be more productive, and it was during this time I increased my skill base by becoming more proficient in customer service. After 12 months of working in the agricultural industry I was introduced to self storage, which I thought what’s this all about? After a few months I took the lead as a store manager of a facility and my knowledge base grew. Last year I took on the role of captain in the RFS and also made the change to join Storage King.


I've found my passion is helping people out in times of need, not only helping out people stressed by fire but also stressed of the thought of moving, renovating or even troubleshooting space required. I'm almost 10 years out of school and it’s amazing where life takes you, thinking I would be chasing cattle around a paddock to now be doing my thing with not only the RFS but also Storage King, it’s quite exciting.