Tuesday, April 10, 2012

More than meets the eye.


When I joined Storage King in 2008, I knew absolutely nothing about the self storage industry. I’d driven past storage centres countless times, but had never really stopped to think about what they actually did and what services they offered. I soon learnt that the self storage industry was a lot more complex than I first thought. It is not just about hiring an empty storage unit. It is a myriad of residential, commercial and not-for profit customers, boxes and packing materials, removalists and truck hire, shelving, insurance...the list goes on!

After four years in the industry I have gained a wealth of experience and learnt many things. The most helpful tips I give to my customers are:
·         Storage is like a  real-life game of Tetris – the better you pack your unit, the less space you will need and the more money you will save in the long run
·         Put things you need most regularly need at the front of your unit – there is nothing worse than needing something that’s in a box in the far-back corner under a mountain of furniture
·         Defrost your fridge and freezer – you don’t want to open your unit 6 months down the track and find it’s leaked all over your boxes
·         Don’t stand leather lounges on their ends – they might crease, and it’s near impossible to get these creases out. Also avoid wrapping these in plastic as they will sweat.

Every day in the storage industry represents a new challenge, and a new set of obstacles to overcome. The variety in the job is probably what I enjoy most – there is never a dull day!